5 important steps to faster turn times
In the last ten years technology has changed drastically in our industry. There have been many developments in technology and e-commerce that have improved turnaround times on appraisal assignments. Not only turn times, but it's improved accuracy and defensibility in court cases. We're taking advantage of these opportunities. Are you taking advantage of every opportunity you have to speed up the process?
- Ordering appraisals online? With online ordering, you get automatic e-mail acknowledgements that the assignment was received, and fast, secure .PDF format report delivery. It's the single biggest time saver available to both of us! We don't have to retype information from a fax, and you don't have to wonder whether we received the order.
- Provide complete and accurate information about the subject property? There's nothing like being one number off on the street address to add unnecessary time to an appraisal assignment. And if you have a tax parcel number, plat map number, subdivision name or anything else that uniquely identifies the property, please pass it along.
- Are you letting us know up front any details about the property that might make it unique? Cookie-cutter homes are relatively easy to appraise. What takes time is analyzing how unique features contribute to or detract from what otherwise would be a property's market value. Let us know up front when you order your report if there are unique features of the home or surrounding area — for example, it's had a recent addition put on, it's subject to zoning restrictions, it's prone to flooding. These are things we'll find out on our own anyway, and knowing them as soon as possible makes your report arrive more quickly.
- Are you making the occupants of the home aware of what to expect? One of the most time consuming parts of the appraisal process is setting an appointment with the occupants of the home. Some homeowners are understandably uncomfortable with the fact a stranger wants to come in their house and look around and make notes. Some think they have to make the place spotless before the appraiser comes by, thinking that will make the house appraise higher. So they put off the appointment until they can get around to cleaning. Feel free to make a tentative appointment with your client. If we can fit the appointment into our schedule, this could save a step. We will follow up with the borrower to confirm the appointment. Just be sure to tell them it is TENTATIVE.
- Are you using our website as a resource to keep track of your report's status? Phone and fax tag are a thing of the past with up to the minute status updates available online, anytime, 24/7. As each important milestone in an assignment is completed, that information is available to you online. It's never been easier and faster to keep track of your report's status. With this feature you won't have to shuffle papers to fax or sit on the phone, on hold, wasting valuable time.